Thursday 27 June 2013


'Majulah Singapura'
Travelling is one of life’s more pleasurable experiences. Since most things are new and unfamiliar, the senses are heightened and one tends to ‘feel’ things that are quite normal in a more intensified way. The usual ‘zoning out’ of the familiar and mundane doesn’t happen and even the small things can create a sense of awe and wonder. And intrigue. I think life was meant to be lived like a traveller, focusing on the present moment with a heightened sense of presence.


Although Singapore is a very western city-state, much like an Asian version of any major Australian city (albeit much cleaner), there is enough difference to keep the traveller intrigued. The Singaporean motto in Malay is Majulah Singapura, 'Onward, Singapore.' And what an apt motto.  
It’s been a while since we’ve made the stopover to this beautiful country of many islands and Singapore has lived up to its motto. Much has changed and progress can be seen everywhere, but I’m not sure if all of it has been for the best. Today Singapore is a truly westernised nation. Even the little stalls that used to adorn the side alleys of Orchard Road are gone, replaced by 7-11 stores and branches of international banks. One doesn’t really travel to Singapore these days to get a taste of the Orient.     

It’s a lovely place to visit nevertheless. And it’s a great city in which to travel. With one of the most efficient and expansive subway systems, just about every part of the city is easily accessible. The trains are incredibly clean, without graffiti and inexpensive to use. The planning for the subway system started already back in the 1960s, when the city-state’s farsighted city planners realised that Singapore would need a rail-based urban transport system by the end of the millennium.

It’s this kind of forethought and long-term planning that is sorely needed today, not only in Singapore, but everywhere. How will we continue to build our cities and countries for a sustainable future? What sort of a society and environment will we leave for our grandchildren? Will life be easier for them, or will the decisions we make today (or don’t make) mean that life will be harder?
We need our politicians to have the type of foresight that the city planners had in Singapore in the 1960s; bipartisan support for long-term infrastructure projects and consensus on the fact that selling state assets is akin to selling the family farm.

As we landed in Singapore yesterday, I heard the news that we have a new Prime Minister. I must say that I didn’t expect this, since most of the speculation over the last couple of weeks seemed to be done by journalists being reported on by other journalists. But there you go! I leave the country for five minutes and they replace the PM. I suspect, however, that this was simply coincidence and not the reason for the change and I also suspect that we may have another PM before I have a chance to return to Australia.
And talking about heads of state; apparently Robert Mugabe, the Zimbabwean despot, is also visiting Singapore at the moment. I suspect that this is also just a coincidence and he’s not here to see me, as he could have come to Toowoomba anytime for that. I did hear that he was here for some medical treatment for his eyes and I wondered about that, since Singapore is currently experiencing an exceptional amount of smog and haze due to forest fires in Indonesian Sumatra. Not really the first place I would fly to if I had trouble with my eyes and had a private jet and 100 manservants and could fly anywhere. But then again, who am I to question Robert Mugabe’s logic. I’m sure he’s quite capable of looking after his eyes better than he looks after his country.
Which makes me think. If Mugabe was staying here at The Carlton and I ran into him in the lift while returning from my treadmill session at the gym, what would I say to him?



What does one say to someone who has been accused of countless acts of terror? I’d probably try to keep humour out of it, since dictators aren’t known for their sense of humour; revolutions are serious business after all. Come to think of it, I can’t ever recall seeing a dictator crack a smile. Lenin, Hitler, Mao, Fidel or Mugabe – not one smile between them! So I probably wouldn’t crack a joke. Although I would probably look at Mugabe and wonder, what a different country Zimbabwe would have been if he had attended the 1969 Woodstock festival of peace, love and music.


Samuel writing his own blog on the 24th floor of The Carlton with Singapore's hazy cityscape in the background.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment